A new and exciting position has arisen for a placement student to join our newly developed trial farm down in Somerset, near Frome.
Long Lane Development farm is a Buitelaar owned professional rearing facility, offering huge opportunity for a young, ambitious individual wanting to progress in their career.
The 2019 acquisition and continued investment and development at the farm, offers a state-of-the-art facility, with huge opportunity for education, on-farm trials and research and development.
What can we offer you?
- Paid placement position
- Opportunity to work on a state-of-the-art calf rearing facility, utilising innovative systems & technologies in the workplace.
- Learn from and work with a highly experienced, knowledgeable, and qualified team
- Working amongst our supply chain veterinary partners
- Understand and contribute to the research & development with industry experts
- Attendance/ participation in industry leading Open Days involving key stakeholders and progressive producers
Daily tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Completion & upkeep of farm records including trial work processes & procedures in line with pre agreed protocols including:
- Milk feed plans
- Weaning procedures
- Assisting farm manager in selecting calves for licenses and orders with the aim to select calves while the farm manager is on leave
- Work alongside supply chain vets to develop and apply health plan measures
- Following and ensuring health plans are adhered to, identifying sick animals, following treatment protocols
- Identifying areas of improvement to management of treatment protocols
- Understanding the concentrate feeding routine, ration transition protocols, cake to blend, higher protein cake to lower etc.
- Steam cleaning
- Cleaning of feeding and management equipment
- Disinfection of pens in preparation for new batches of calves
- Upkeep of general farm hygiene and maintenance
The general work routine at Long Lane:
- 7 am start
- Break for breakfast half an hour
- Lunch break one hour
- 5PM finish (may require some over time)
- Collection days to help collection staff grade and batch calves to order (approx. 8PM finish)
- Weekend rota work applicable.